Thursday, June 4, 2009

It's Been Awhile!

Yes, I know, I've been gone for 16 days.  So, exactly what have I been up to lately?  Well... where to begin.  As you know from earlier postings, I am very interested in statistical studies centering around the question of fundamentalism and domestic violence.  A few months back, I decided that most of the evidence that we had regarding this was anecdotal.  There was, in fact, plenty of that kind of stuff.  Further, about everyone and their mother knows that male dominated, far out, weirdo religious cults have there share of domestic violence going on.  A good account of that kind of stuff is Under the Banner of Heaven.  It will blow your mind.  But I got to wonderin', What about the regular ol' fundies in the ol' US of A?  Any relationship there?

There have been a few investigations, but I was looking for something on a larger scale.  So... I talked with the dean at the college where I teach, and, lo and behold, she agreed to pay a Fellow of the College (a type of really "good student" scholarship) and offer me 200 hours worth of research assistance.  Hot dog!  We were in the money now!

Anyway, that is what I have been up to.  Busy as a beaver.  It involves data (literally) from about 150,000,000 folks.  Just been doing some initial crunching.  Have I found anything?  Well... I am hoping for publication of this one.  Have I found anything yet?  No!  I'm not telling!  Not yet anyway.

So, it's back to "statistical salt-mines."  I'll try to do better about keeping something going here.

No comments:

Post a Comment